Dear White House:
You wrote the following, at this web-site: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Facts-Are-Stubborn-Things/
“There is a lot of disinformation about health insurance reform out there, spanning from control of personal finances to end of life care. These rumors often travel just below the surface via chain emails or through casual conversation. Since we can’t keep track of all of them here at the White House, we’re asking for your help. If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to [email protected].”
The “disinformation” I’ve found has actually come from the White House, its advisors and Congress, because each has been proposing a government takeover of the health-care sector, even though government has failed utterly – in all other areas listed below – where it tried to crowd-out or monopolize a valid product or service:
- Money – The Federal Reserve, which perpetually debases our money, manipulates interest rates, and instigates systemic risk
- Pensions – he Social Security Administration, the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corp. – which are insolvent by multi-trillions of dollars
- Schooling – the “public” (government) schools are a mess, and generate mass illiteracy-innumeracy
- 1st Class Mail – the U.S. Post Office is badly run and a perpetual money-loser
- Passenger Trains – Amtrak is also badly run and always a money-loser
- Residential Mortgages – Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Ginnie Mae and the FHA-HUD have lost trillions and have brought ruin to millions
Each of these government failures deprives me and my fellow-citizens of good products and services, while making us more dependent on the state – i.e., serfs.
Indeed, “facts are stubborn things” – and the list above is fact-filled. Why would Washington politicians be so stubborn as to deny these facts, these blatant failures?
Please, before you go bullying into yet more of our lives, let us know of just one area – besides the U.S. Military – where the federal government has actually done a good job delivering a product or service, and a better job than the free market would provide. If you can name just one or two such areas, I’ll sure let my fellow citizens know about them. By the way, you can’t cite Medicare or Medicaid, since they too are badly-run, rife with waste and fraud, and insolvent by trillions of dollars.
Finally, I see that you and the Congress will be immune and exempt from the ‘public option’ (socialized medicine). Why? Perhaps for the same reason you don’t now send your own kids to public schools, or ride AMTRAK, etc. If you really wish to be credible on this issue, not only must you cite some other areas where government intervention has succeeded, but also, pledge that all federal politicians will enroll in the Obama socialist-medicine scheme for a decade before daring to impose it on the rest of us. You’re all very busy now, cookin’ up your health-care scheme; well, reputable cooks should be willing to first taste their own dishes.
Richard M. Salsman
Durham, North Carolina
Richard M Salsman
Latest posts by Richard M Salsman (see all)
- The Production of Money Isn’t (Necessarily) the Production of Wealth - 2019.04.10
- Spring Break in Caracas - 2019.03.30
- The Myth of “Imperfect” Capitalism - 2019.03.27